Everyone wants more happiness. I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t try to conjure up new ways to feel a flutter in my chest or put a huge smile on my face.
Academy Award-nominated director Roko Belic even proved that everyone wants to be happier in his film Happy that I recently watched (and LOVED) on GaiamTV.
But how do we get there?
According to research discussed in Happy, 50% of our happiness is accounted for by a set point that each one of us is born with. Some babies come out kicking and screaming, while others greet the world with bright eyes and a smile.
But whether or not you are born with a shitload of happy in your pants, there is still room to create more in your life.
Most people believe that a higher income and social status brings more happiness – which makes complete sense to me. As a single mom I stress about money all the freaking time.
How will I pay all my bills this month?
Oh you got invited to ANOTHER birthday party? GREAT, that means I have to find the money to buy ANOTHER present!
And all too often I find myself wishing I could just make a little bit more money to be able to go out and do things instead of being isolated in my apartment.
But ironically, studies have shown that those types of circumstances only account for 10% of our happiness.
So what accounts for the remaining 40% of our shits and giggles? We do! Our intentional behaviors each day are what make or break a significant chunk of our happiness.
Which got me to thinking: What 5 things can I commit to doing in 2013 to bring more happiness into my day to day life?
To me, happiness is something that is always inside of me, it’s just a matter of finding ways to remember it is there. It’s in the moments that I allow myself to think crappy thoughts, contemplate choking a bitch, or reminisce about negative things that have happened to me in the past that my happy gets lost in a fog.
When I’m out doing things I love, or creating things, or sharing my passions with the people around me I literally glow from the inside out. THAT is when I’m my most happy and those are the types of things I’d like to commit to doing in the New Year.
Here’s my list:
- Go on more dates for FUN NOT FOREVER
- Get off the block at least twice a week – I work from home all but one day a week which means I often find myself confined to the walls of my apartment. So in addition to my one day a week that I go to NYC, I’d like to add another day where I do something fun by myself or with my son.
- Do some type of physical activity at least 3 days a week – Research has shown that one of the best ways to trigger happiness is through endorphins. I’m constantly trying to convince myself to do these insane workouts 6 days a week and I think by doing so I set myself up to crash and burn because I end of dreading them and get stressed about being able to fit them into my crazy schedule. Working out it supposed to reduce stress not cause it, right? In 2013 I’m going to step out of my comfort zone and do some new workouts on GaiamTV, maybe take some new classes when I can afford, and go for a run at different places when the weather allows to try to find my happy workout place.
- Make more time for friends and family – Over the holidays I’ve had a chance to reconnect with loved ones, neighbors, and friends, which reminded me of how important that is. When it comes down to happiness, those types of relationships bring me the most joy. It’s the conversations we have over dinner or a bottle(or TWELVE) of wine that nurture my soul.
- Learn to cook – So I have a confession… I’m not the best cook. I like to cook – blasting music and sipping wine while chopping and stirring things in the kitchen is one of my favorite things to do – but my skills are questionable. I have two or three things I’m good at making, but that’s it and they’re pretty simple dishes. This is not to be confused with the fact that I can bake like a motherfucker. Because I CAN. In 2013 I’d like to try making some new things, possibly things I’m intimidated to make. One night a week will be spent cooking a new recipe.
Don’t you want to be happier in the New Year?
Get inspired and find out how by watching Happy on GaiamTV!
And after you do, come back here and leave me a comment below with your list of 5 things you’d like to commit to in 2013 to bring more happiness into your everyday life.
I WANT TO KNOW, BITCHES!
In addition to watching this awesome video, you can do a lot of things with your free 10-Day trial to GaiamTV.
They’re the first streaming video subscription service designed to reach those interested in health and happiness.
With over 2,000 titles, it’s like Netflix for the mind, body and spirit!
Their entire library of thought provoking movies, top documentary films and fitness videos is available anytime, anywhere. Streaming capabilities for Gaiam TV include personal computers, iPads and smartphones.
GaiamTV’s $9.95 per month fee allows you to stream unlimited content and a subscription to Gaiam TV is no strings attached; there is no commitment, and you can cancel at anytime.
Sign up for your free 10-day trial to watch Happy today and you’ll also automatically be entered to win a 3-month subscription and a cozy, organic fireside blanket (Over $125 Value!)
Click the following link to take advantage of this offer to get your happy on with GaiamTV: http://bit.ly/GetGaiamHappy
Disclosure: I was given access to GaiamTV’s subscription services for this post. I did not receive monetary compensation. No request to share any particular point of view was made. All opinions expressed here are strictly my own and my desire to make everyone happy (including me).