This may come as a surprise to you, but I wasn’t always comfortable talking about sex.
In fact, in my former-and-less-fabulous life I was sexually shy. I even would’ve blushed had you mentioned Astroglide in front of me.
It wasn’t until becoming a single mom and being forced to spend several years alone, exploring myself and my sexuality, that I found my mojo.
There may have been a bit of lube involved.
There may also have been a man that came into my life to bring the vixen out of me.
None of the other men I had ever been intimate with made me feel sexy. They also never let me take the lead or be in control in sexual situations. There was never much foreplay and things were always rushed, but with this particular guy it was different.
He opened my eyes to a whole new world where being “dirty” wasn’t wrong – it was hot as hell!
He made me feel powerful.
And most importantly, he showed me how sexy I was at a time in my life when I felt anything but.
Every woman deserves to feel sexy and confident in the bedroom. That’s why Astroglide’s Sexual Wellness Ambassador Dr. Yvonne Fulbright wants you to take the following steps to overcome your sexual shyness in 2013 and get your mojo on.
- Analyze what’s holding you back so that you have a good sense – vs. a general sense – of the barriers you need to overcome in claiming your sexual self and sex life.
- Read quality sex manuals. Knowledge is power, w/ a number of lovers insecure about their sexual expression b/c of ignorance. So educate yourself on techniques, erogenous zones, modes of seduction… in boosting your confidence and expanding your repertoire of ideas.
- Determine if your issues require extra assistance. If, for example, you’re shy about sex b/c of religious messages you received growing up or b/c you were violated, then working through such issues with a certified sex therapist or counselor will do you a world of good. (You can find one in your area at: www.aasect.org.)
- Get to know yourself. It’s hard to express yourself or let a lover know your likes and what you want unless you take the time for self-exploration first. So take the time to masturbate. Experiment with different sexual enhancements. Read erotica for inspiration re: scenarios. Flirt with different ways to get turned on, to seduce, and begin the process of foreplay. You will feel more self-assured in providing instruction, even if it’s non-verbal.
- Boost your body image. For some, the biggest challenge to getting in a sexy state of mind and letting that be known is how a woman feels about her body. This also goes for those who seemingly have the “best” bodies. You can start feeling better about your form with regular exercise (as this has mental health perks as well), eating healthy meals, avoiding toxins, and shutting down negative self-talk. Do things that make you feel good about the skin you’re in, like yoga, getting a massage, or wearing clothes that feel like they were made for you.
These days there are very few things I am shy about when it comes to sex – but there is one thing that still remains my sexual nemesis:
That’s right. I hate giving blowjobs. Why? Because I am not confident at all about giving them. Which is a damn shame because every good man deserves a good blowjob.
I’m not saying I’ve ever had any complaints, but I’ve never had any rave reviews either.
Some women are phenomenal at giving blowjobs. They make it look sexy. They never gag. They don’t get lockjaw. They will go to town and rock that shit for hours like a freaking porn star.
That is not me, but damn it I wish it was!
That’s why I’m resolving to overcome my blowjobs fears this year by taking a blowjob class.
Whether it’s giving a better blowjob, feeling confident enough in your skin to rock some sexy lingerie or any other number of sexual insecurities I want to know one issue you want to overcome to have better sex in 2013.
Leave me a comment below so I feel like less of an asshole for sharing my lack of blowjob skills with you.
If you’re too shy to leave a comment, but there’s still something you want to overcome this year you can get some advice anonymously from Dr. Yvonne via this nifty form on Astroglide.com.
And don’t forget to grab your free sample of Astro glide, you cheap bastard!
You can thank me later…
Edit: Someone just sent me a rave review so apparently I don’t need that blowjob class after all! Huzzah!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Astroglide. I did not receive compensation for this post. No request to share any particular point of view was made. All opinions expressed here are strictly my own.